Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Bangalore...

Hey, my name is Hillary Amster and I recently finished my 1L year at USF Law.  I'm originally from Connecticut, in the suburbs of New York City, but found myself in San Francisco this past year, and now, Banglore, India this summer.  I decided to go to law school solely to pursue a career in the International Human Rights realm, whatever that may be, even if it is not acting as the "normal lawyer" would.  Bangalore seemed like a perfect place to start this.  For 1 week we are having a crash course in Indian Law, followed by 4 weeks of an internship.  I will be working at the Ministry of Women and Child Development here in Bangalore, mostly on issues concerning child rights such as trafficking of children, selling of children, child prostitution, and child marriage laws.
So far this has been an amazing experience.  We are staying in a beautiful place, in a great part of the city, interacting with students and professors from India's top law school, and embarking on field trips throughout Bangalore!  Today, for example, we went to the Governor's house and to the High Court.  In both places, we were given special tours,and  introduced to and had tea and snacks with prominent players in the Indian legal and government sectors (such as the State's Secretary and the Chief Justice).  To top off the day, I indulged in a fish spa (look it up if you don't know, but I'll give you a hint; the fish eat your skin) for a mere $4!  It was fantastic.  I cannot wait to see what other adventures and treats lie ahead!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are in for a hell of a summer. Maybe you would fancy a weekend trip to an amazing cambodian beach this next weekend, ie the 5th 6th ish. Book a flight, lets kick it in cambodia, unite the summer abroad programs and such...

    Now isnt blogging fun....

    http://usfilswarren.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete